As the proprietor of Green Acres Homestead, LLC, Mark Montalban has co-owned a small home on a 1/3 acre lot in the New North End of Burlington, Vermont since 2013 with the intent of redesigning the homestead into a place of sustainable living including growing a varieties of foods, especially lactose-fermented, recently adding hemp that is CO2 extracted and full spectrum that are in some of our oils, tinctures, and salves. Since then we have produced enough kombucha, kimchee, water kefir, eggs, chicken meat, hard cider, honey & mead, gluten free stout, fire cider, herbal salves, & infused oils/tinctures to avoid needing to purchase these items at the often high market price. Through our introductory homesteading parties there has developed an interest to share what we have and continue to learn about developing a permaculture model for the urban home. We have planned classes around some of these items and products to sell.
These changes since 2013 include:
- Solar cells addition for our south facing roof
- Harvesting of our pond based fish
- Growth of hops for beer brewing and hop pillows and sachets.
- Conversion of all standard grass into a combination of bee meadow, cover crop, and mixed clover
- Additional front hedging (natural fencing) with berry and fruit bushes.
- Maturing of our grape vines to develop into a personal brewed wine.
- Adding Ducks to the flock.
- New fruit trees including apricot, pear, and pomegranate.
- Experimental development of hemp .
- Establishment of winter deliveries to home & businesses for Burlington, Winooski, South Burlington, Essex Jct, Colchester, & Williston. (December to April).
For the 2020 year, we are still exploring adding rabbits to our homestead.
Our connection button to the Facebook page appears to be not working, please copy and paste the following to reach this site} https://www.facebook.com/05408homestead